D’Alton McCarthy, lawyer, politician (b near Dublin, Ire 10 Oct 1836; d at Toronto 11 May 1898). He came to Canada with his parents in 1847, and was educated in Barrie, Canada West. He was called to the Bar of Upper Canada in 1858, and was elected to Parliament as a Conservative 1876. He was re-elected in 1878 to the constituency of North Simcoe, which he represented continuously until his death. McCarthy was at the centre of the most heated political issues of his day. He was president of Canada’s Imperial Federation League for 7 years, although he was forced to resign because of his support for unilingualism. He relentlessly opposed the use of the French language outside Québec, and voted against his leader over the JESUITS’ ESTATES ACT.
After the 1891 election he began to advocate reform of the protective tariff, a divergence from Tory policy that led in 1893 to a break with the party. During the 1890s he continued his vehement opposition to French-language schools and his support of Manitoba’s eradication of denominational schools as a way of suppressing French instruction. Consequently, he and his McCarthyite League worked to defeat the federal Conservatives in the election of 1896. He was rumoured to be about to enter LAURIER’S Cabinet at the time of his death.
Born in Walkerton, Ontario, he was elected to the Canadian House of Commons in 1898 as an Independent (McCarthyite candidates 1896) representing the riding of Simcoe North. He was re-elected in 1900 and 1904. He was defeated in 1911 when he ran as a Liberal.
He was President of the Canada Life Assurance Company. In 1941, he was appointed to the Queen’s Privy Council for Canada. From 1941 to 1944, he was the first Canadian ambassador to the United States(before the position was called Envoy Extraordinary and Minister Plenipotentiary).
Maitland Stewart McCarthy (February 5, 1872 – May 17, 1930) was a politician, lawyer and judge from western Canada.
Born in Orangeville, Ontario, he was the son of Thomas Anthony Maitland McCarthy, a county court judge, and Jennie Frances Stewart. He studied at Trinity College School in Port Hope and Trinity University, receiving a LLB in 1896. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1897 and set up practice in Sarnia.
After leaving politics, he returned to the practice of law. McCarthy was named King’s Counsel in 1913 and, in 1914, he was appointed to the Supreme Court of Alberta. In 1926, he retired from the bench due to health problems.
Thomas McCarthy (1832 – September 23, 1870) was a Quebec businessman and political figure. He was a Conservative member of the Canadian House of Commons representing Richelieu from 1867 to 1870. He was born in County Cork, Ireland in 1832, the son of John McCarthy, and came to Canada in 1839.nMcCarthy was a shipbuilder in the Sorel region in partnership with his brothers Daniel and John. He served on the council for Sorel in 1860, 1862, 1863 and 1865.
McCarthy died at Sorel in 1870 while still in office.
William Murdock McCarty was born May 15, 1859, in Alpine, Utah County, Utah, the son of James Hardwick McCarty and Lydia Margaret Cragun. His father, a native of Kentucky, moved to Indiana when a boy, and grew to manhood there. He came to Utah in 1854 on a wagon train headed for California.
His brother Homer wrote the following about him:
“Bill, as he was known by his family, was of a stocky build, both as a boy and a young man. He was a wrestler, foot racer, boxer and very combative. While our brother Jim was older, nevertheless, Bill could knock him around, and often times imposed upon his weaker brother.
Father’s farm was not very large, something less than 20 acres, consequently it furnished no employment for the grown up boys. They had to go away for remunerative work, either to herd sheep and cattle, or to the mines in Nevada. When the McCartys moved from Summit, Iron County, to Monroe, Sevier County, they had quite a herd of cattle and many extra horses. For some reason, they just slowly faded away, possibly not so very slowly either. The grown boys being gone most of the time, and father being no cattleman at all, possibly explains why the cattle and horses found other corrals.
Bill early took a liking for law. Judge Wheedon from Beaver, Utah, lived at our home for some time and had his law office there. Under Wheedon, Bill studied his first law. Later he went to the Brigham Young Academy (in 1881 and 1882) and studied English common law. After school was out, Bill studied law in Provo, and actually practiced law with Thurman and Corfman. Coming home to Monroe he opened a law office in one of mother’s rooms. He went to Beaver and was appointed Deputy U.S. District Attorney. Coming back to Monroe he was elected County Attorney. While he was County Attorney, Utah was divided into several judicial districts. Bill was elected Judge of the Sixth Judicial District with headquarters in Richfield.
After serving as District Judge for two terms or more, he was elected to the Utah Supreme Court, which position he held for nearly 25 years, until his death December 19, 1918. He served as chief Justice from 1906-1908 and 1912-1915.
William’s wife, Lovina Lauretta Murray, was a sweet and pretty woman. She was quite a horse woman in her ranch days, having been raised on a ranch about a mile north of Marysvale, Utah. Her father kept the post office for several years. Lovina was a good housekeeper, and an excellent entertainer for the guests the Judge would often necessarily bring to his home. In various ways she was a great help in the trying
Work that he had to do as a Supreme Court Judge. Their home, which they purchased when they came to Salt Lake City, was at 1053 Third Avenue. Their children are Murray William., Ray Sargent, Margaret Lovina and Frank Edward Hardwick McCarty.
Written in Men of Affairs in the State of Utah, is the following description of William Murdock McCarty.
“As Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Utah, William M. McCarty holds a position which is peculiarly exacting, and which makes peculiarly trying demands upon him. The judicial mind must not be swayed by personal opinion, and the law is the only foundation upon which opinions of the Supreme Court can be built. Chief Justice McCarty, on the bench, divorces himself from every personal tie, and thinks only as a judge, without fear or favor. Off the bench he displays another side of a remarkable personality. Amiable, a delightful conversationalist, possessing wit that sparkles and philosophy that sobers, Chief Justice McCarty has thousands of friends who admire him and cherish his good esteem.”
William and his wife Lovina are both buried in the Mount Olivet Cemetery in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Compiled by Beth J. McCarty, Submitted for the MacCarthy Political Legacy Project of the North American MacCarthy Clan